It's the holiday you've all been waiting for! September 16 is National Guacamole Day and November 14 is National Spicy Guacamole Day. Show your true green colors and impeccable good taste with Hass avocados, the choice of professional chefs and guacamole connoisseurs. Serve them proudly throughout the day and for the remaining 363 days for breakfast, lunch, dinner and more. The possibilities are endless with always in season Hass avocados. Try our tips and recipes for a perfect guacamole celebration.
Guacamole Preparation Tips
- Picking Hass avocados - Although the skin of the Hass avocado turns darker as it ipens, you can't always judge a ripe avocado by its color. Instead, select avocados that yield to gentle pressure when you squeeze them in the palm of your hand. Or if you're planning ahead for your celebration, look for Hass avocados that are firm to the touch, they'll ripen naturally in four to five days. You can speed up the process by placing them in a brown paper bag with an apple or banana and store at room temperature.
Get more tips from our How to Select and Buy Hass avocados page.
- Cut, Twist & Spoon Hass avocados - Slice Hass avocados lengthwise, cutting around the seed and twist to separate into two halves. Use a spoon to gently remove the seed. For more detailed instructions, visit our How to Make Guacamole section.
- Refrigerating Guacamole - Keep unused avocado or your celebration guacamole from oxidizing (turning rown) by adding lime or lemon juice. Store in an air-tight container or wrap tightly in clear plastic wrap to limit the surface area exposed to the air. If your guacamole surface does oxidize, simply scrape the brown top layer away without disturbing the green "guac" underneath.
Get more tips from our How to Store section.
Guacamole Serving SuggestionsTortilla chips are traditional, but you don't have to be. Serve your guacamole with crisp sliced vegetables. Use it as a sandwich spread. Top a burger with a dollop of guac. Dress up grilled fish, chicken or pork. Add a dash to an omelet. Your guacamole adventure is limited only by your imagination!
- Guac'n'Roll - Don't forget to have plenty of fun party dance music, with guacamole as the star attraction, why not a little 'guac-n-roll' theme with plenty of rock and roll music.
- Guacamole Party Games - Looking for a fun party game to go along with your guacamole celebration? Try guac-n-bowl. Clear a long strip of an area in the corner of your party for guests to throw. Take the leftover seeds from your avocados, wash and dry thoroughly. Set-up empty water bottles with spare change inside for weights as pins and let guests try to knock over the bottles with the seeds. Each bottle or "pin" can be one point or you can make some bottles more points than others. Keep strips of paper and pencils nearby so guests can keep score.
- Guacamole Bar - National Guacamole Day is all about serving the delicious green stuff - why not focus your entire celebration around it with a guacamole bar. Prepare a variety of ingredients and seasonings like cumin, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeño, green chiles, bell peppers, your favorite cheeses, and more - give your guests a wide selection to be creative. Be sure to include plenty of mashed or diced Hass avocados and lots of dipping possibilities. Or for a competitive edge to your party, challenge your guests to submit their creations for a guac-off where each custom guacamole is voted on to choose the crowd favorite. Be sure to have plenty of recipe cards on hand so guests can write down their recipe creations for future use.